Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Welcome 2015....a New Year...a New me...come and see

Here we go…I’m going to be very vulnerable because I want to share my 'results' after these last 30 day…In fact, I NEED to share what God has been doing since the start of 2015 for me.

For those that want to hear it, read this. This isn’t a poor me story. It’s my life. And Where I have been.  And most ladies reading this will be able to understand the heart of where I am coming from in this if you have had a baby. I say most in that I am just not one of those women who was bounding out of the hospital in her buttoned up pre-pregnancy jeans glowing in the face with a flat belly.
In fact, and here comes honest nelly, 10 months post pardum, I am still wearing some maternity pants….because let’s face it, stretchy feels good and I just am….well was….struggling.

With that said, my body went through a lot in a ‘short’ three year span…I was pregnant 5 times…lots of tests, fertility drugs, progesterone supplements and two full healthy babies later my body finally went “SHEW GIRL! Thank you! I need a break!”
Now enter in two babies with colic, a full time job, one baby requiring lots and lots of medical attention and tests etc., trying to wear many hats as a mom and wife and church goer….well, my body and health took the very last row in my life.

What I wasn’t realizing at the time was that, my body and health needed to move to the front seat in order to be able to be healthy in all the other areas. But it wasn’t. And while I would put on a happy face on the outside, I was dying a little more each day on the inside.
Spiritually it was also draining me. God was there and I would talk to Him, but there was this wall of sorts I had put up. Resentment? I don’t know, just a numbness I can’t describe. And all my misery was slowly eeking out on my boys and my husband. I just was in a yucky place. And not being fair to my boys or my husband.

I have officially erased every family picture that was taken with me in it with the boys because I couldn’t stand to see how much weight I was still carrying. That wasn’t me. That couldn’t be me. I found I didn’t really look in the mirror much, only to put on makeup and fix my hair. Then I wouldn’t look. My closet was shrinking but I refused to go buy more clothes.
I didn’t want to see anyone or be seen by anyone. I was happy in my own little world of self-pity and this past December, really kind of hit a place where I just didn’t even want to do much outside our safe little house. I had been trying every diet pill, wrap, crash diet on the market with little to no success and getting more and more discouraged. I told myself this was the way it was going to be and who I was, suck it up.

In December however, a dear colleague/friend/coworker of mine at work began talking about how she was thinking of joining this challenge group thing in January using a meal replacement shake and workout program. Now this friend is thin. She is older. A breast cancer survivor. I thought at first, “Wait? But you don’t need to lose weight?”…but the more she talked the more I realized for her, it was about health. Everyone needs to be healthy. So I got it with her. It wasn’t just a weight thing. It was a, “I need health”. We all need it. And I knew that I would at least have her daily to do this with.
I was aware of the ‘cost’ and knew it was a bit pricey but told her to go ahead and pass my name on and I will talk with Michelle and see. I was desperate for help. I got the email from Michelle with several questions to answer the week before Christmas. I remember reading through them going, “I’ve got lots of answers to give you in a ‘poor me’ sob story I have no time  I work full time and have two babies two and under and every other excuse in the book blah blah blah…”

The week of New Year’s I answered her. Very honestly. Very very. I expected to get back an “Ah, I’m so sorry” response…but what I got was….”Yeah, me too. I have two active boys (About the same as mine),  I work full time (in fact she works more than one job), I’m a wife and a mom….and a pastor’s wife”…WHAT? Get out. Uhhh, ok. Guess I am not the only one who is busy?
Tail between my legs my jaw dropped. She literally gave me ‘NO OUT’….no excuses. But in a matter of fact very nice way. She got me. No poor you. But I’m here for you.  She frankly and very simply sent back to me, “Before we move on, can you commit to 25 min a day for 5 days a week of exercise?”

My initial response was NO. I just told you I have no margin. But I sat on it a min. and then an hour. Then a few hours. Till I realized, yes, yes I can do that. It is going to mean change in my routine and some sacrifice but yes. Ok. I can.
So I nervously said yes. Then she sent me the “Challenge pack” link and the cost. Again, I was expecting one number but this number came in a bit higher than I even expected. So I prayed. I said, “God? Should I do this?” to which he simply said “yes”. Sometimes folks, it is just that easy.

I talked to Wes about it and when I told him it was going to cost some money the only thing he said was, “Well, if you do that, and spend that, then you are going to DO that.” He is practical like that. And honestly now why I love that the price point of this product makes you stop and think. Anyone can drop a little bit. But this was a bit more than just a little bit. Not an amount you just waste.
Plus, it was only for a month right? I can do that.

So I bit the bullet. And said yes. *which, by the way, will always be a defining moment in my life*
So the process of the challenge group has been this:

 (1) Drink Shakeology. A protein, nutrient rich meal replacement shake once a day. I thought it would be hard to do. But it hasn’t been. In fact, it is my “crack shake” as I now refer to it. It will forever be part of my life. And I have done a lot of products out on the market. This has totally changed my life and rocked my world. And if you want something healthy and wholesome and are willing to feel good all the time, I’d love to talk more. I’m not going to try and sell you. Either you want it or you don’t. It isn’t a miracle drink. It isn’t going to magically fix your weight. You have to manage other areas of your life. But it is a great addition and something that is so so good for you. It has healed parts of me I didn’t know needed it. I wish I had found it several years ago but am glad it is in my life now. In fact, I can see the bottom of my first bag and my other shipment has not come in yet and I am freaking out a bit. Crack shake I tell you. *HA!*
(2) Eat Clean. What? Aint nobody got time for that. I am a working mama. The microwave and take out are my friends. Ha ha ha ha….What I didn’t realize that eating clean (I shoot for the 80/20 eat clean rule because life happens….and so do hamburgers and fries) is actually easier…I just have to plan. And if it isn’t something that I am actually a planner as my occupation… J So that part, has come very naturally. And we have started spending less money on food. What? Again? Like eating healthier can be cheaper? And quicker? Again, ha ha ha ha…Looking back one month now I would have NEVER found myself at this place. AND, I am not an extremist in this. We still can't afford organic everything....but that doesn't mean you cant eat healthy.

(3) Work out. I purchased a beach body program. Shaun T T25. 25 min a day, 5 days a week. However, that was a trick. When my pack came I realized that one of those days he asks you to double up and on Sunday there is a stretch video…so technically it is 6 days a week. But you know what? I DID indeed have 25 min a day to have Shaun T personally come into my home and kick my big fat booty. I say that to myself in the nicest way possible. I put one baby to bed, Wes has some daddy time with Jackson OR Jackson sits on the couch behind me watching the ipad while kicking my butt every time I go down for a squat… “mommy echersize” he says. I get the workout done, then have the rest of the night….and am about 100% more efficient at getting things done than I used to be in the evenings. WHAT? Get out. AND now Wes and I are doing it together. Meaning. While I bathe the boys most nights, Wes gets his time on his bike or the elliptical…Its becoming a big fat family affair of “Echercise”. And exercise is like a drug…it feeds your body and gives you energy. Wes and I both feeling that.
(4) My FB challenge group coach Michelle gives us videos every day and we have to ‘check in’ with pictures and posts every day….or she asks. And hunts. Just kidding. But really, the accountability from other ladies has been phenomenal. The spiritual aspect of this has been amazing. There are 5 ladies in our group. 4 I have never met and they live in other states...but we have formed such a bond through this...and pray for each other daily, encourage, push on…everyone is doing something different exercise wise for the most part…different video sets. These ladies have become a lifeline of help for me. I am not only changing physically through this, but I am realizing spiritually some things, areas where God needed to heal me and come to the front seat again of my life. Spiritual health and physical heath are connected. Very much so.

This has changed me. Is changing me. It is part of us now. A habit.
This week we are at the end of our 30 day small group and about to graduate to another group for another 30 days. This is about life change. This is about work. This is about getting healthy more so than just losing weight to feel good about yourself. I have only lost about 5-6 total true lbs. And several inches. But I can once again wear my wedding bands, my clothes are starting to fit again, and I feel amazing. I like the changes I am seeing in my body.  However, I am not monitoring this journey by the scale. Or the mirror. But by my heart condition with God #1 and my physical condition #2. I am on a journey of health. Not weight loss. There is a big difference. This is a marathon, not a sprint. I am not on a diet.  I am not taking magic pills. I am drinking a great supplement that feeds my body what it needs....but overall, this is my new lifestyle.

Again, I have a long way to go. I’m just 30 days in. But I’ve made it 30 days. 21 is when a ‘habit’ forms so we are in the habit of things now. Yes there are days when I come home dog tired and do not want to go work out. I’m still human. And learning that this process also means listening to your body. And adjusting when necessary. And that is ok. Each day presents a new set of victories and challenges.
I've had a few people ask and if you want to continue to join me in this journey I might consider a small challenge/encouragement group of my own. But I’m only going to do it with you if you want to. I’m not going to try and convince you of anything. You have to want it for yourself and work hard and make a few sacrifices. I’m not trying to sell anything for anyone. If you want some intense coaching I would be happy to put you in touch with Michelle. I just want to share the health. Feel free to reach out to me. I am in no way a 'professional' but I can encourage you. Because this is the first time in my life I feel like I get the whole picture of what health looks like.

So there you have it. Welcome 2015. A new year for us all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment