Friday, January 18, 2013

Update

Not sure if you heard or not, but the Waldorf house just survived almost a month of sick infant hell. After Christmas, Jackson ended up with a very nasty cold…that turned into RSV Bronchitis with a sinus infection on top. MISERABLE baby. He is still a bit snotty as we are FINLLY down to just a runny nose ….but this runny nose is most likely the result of teething. And THAT, I can deal with.  In fact, teething is a piece of cake compared to the RSV junk.

The hardest part of the whole ordeal for me was having to get up and work 40 hours a week after spending night after night up every few hours to try and console my poor, sick, uncomfortable, steroidal antibiotic ridden baby…Sometimes sleeping on me. Sometimes in his crib with me on the floor just because I was tired of going up and down the stairs so much in the middle of the night. Top that off with a husband who also became very sick. (I KNOW Wes is sick when he willingly drives himself to urgent care AND stays home from work two consecutive days in a row)  Followed by a  very sick Grandma (who he stays with during the day) who almost got pnemonia….well, this past month, between trying to care for everyone else and the juggling around of my work schedule ….I almost committed myself. And almost quit my job…just out of sheer exhaustion.
But I didn’t. And I hung in there. And we made it through thanks to prayers and the sweet grace of God.
I am amazed still that I didn’t get it as bad as Wes and Mom and Jackson did. After all, I was the one who was up all hours being coughed on, sneezed on, puked on…ect. Averaging maybe between 4-5 hours a night of sleep when all the waking and crying was said and done…I have NEVER in my life been more tired. I don’t even know how I did it. I kept thinking, “Ok, I’m next…brace yourself, it’s just a matter of time”.   At the advice of my Mom's doctor, I ate yogurt like a crazy woman, pounded the probiotics, drank Emergency’s like they were going out of style, and sucked down lots of chicken soup....and also in sheer desperation, I prayed. A lot. Actually, I might have cried several times in the middle of the night getting very angry and honest with God. Sometimes that is all he wants. Our honesty. And I truly believe that he heard my cry. Even though at times, it didn’t feel like it.
But He did. And He protected me.  Because while I did get a touch of the cold, it never cost me work time . Just a touch. Nothing more. THAT is a miracle.
And now, thanks to such a bout of sickness, I have now become super paranoid and VERY VERY aware of the cold and flu germs going around out there….Yes, yes, I have now turned into the crazy mom who carries a can of Lysol in her diaper bag, wipes down the WHOLE cart while out shopping, washes her hands like and OCD person, and well, if you ask to hold my baby and have even the slightest tickle in your throat, my answer will be  a giant, resounding, NO!...Actually, it might be no for the rest of cold and flu season…. just because. Sorry, Jackson is just off limits for now.
Please understand me….I am not trying to be rude or hateful; It’s just, I want a little peace and rest from sickness for a bit. The nebulizer is finally resting quietly on the shelf. The antibiotics finished. And we are getting back to some sense of normality. One foul germ, or cough, or sneeze in Jacksons general direction could flare it all back up again….and I just am not ready for that.
I knew babies had no immune system. But knowing and experiencing are two very different things. They are susceptible to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING going around.  Even the mildest of colds. And his little immune system is still a bit compromised. And we are finally back to just waking one or two times a night….and going for longer and longer stretches…and the bags under my eyes are slowly going away. And routine is nice….And I am almost detoxed off my intense and very necessary coffee routine.  And my house no longer smells like a giant cough drop thanks to special added stuff to the humidifier we now have running in every room.

I can almost see 100% health in the very near future. Almost.
But until we are there, we have become a bit hobbit like at night and on the weekends. Venturing out to go to Target or the grocery store, but making it quick trips only. It’s just for the best right now.
So there you have it. Nothing more to report at this time. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. It could have been worse. And I am oh so grateful it wasn’t. Please please be careful this season. It is bad. Be mindful of others. Wash your hands. Don’t touch your face. Take your vitamins. And pray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment