Thursday, January 10, 2013

Musings on parenting

Release all control….the ‘theme’ of my childbearing/parenting experience thus far.

I realize I have posted and spoken a lot about the different parenting ideas and ways that are so prevalent today and how so many want to offer advice on what worked for them as the ONLY sure fire way to raise a kid. And I will admit, I have allowed the books and the advice of others to dictate my worth as a mom. That is problem #1. God’s word is the ONLY thing I should be seeking to discover my worth.
Let me say, to negate all offense taken in my first paragraph that I love that things work for people. I honestly love the advice I have been given. I love hearing suggestions and help on things that have helped them succeed in their parenting.  I recognize and know I have never been a parent and need help from those that have.  However, I have been too easily swayed by taking ‘said advice’ to heart, and when it doesn’t work for me or my child, I equate that as failure.  Not the fault of the advice giver. But mine.
I should have learned after experiencing three miscarriages that this journey of child rearing is not something we can control. It is FAR FAR from it. I could not control with medicine my pregnancies or losses.  I wrote many times about releasing my clenched fists towards Heaven and learning to be thankful. And I am realizing the same lessons I learned during that time also applies to motherhood.
It dawned on me today, as I ran across a woman’s blog on how the Babywise method worked for child number #1 but failed for child #2, that I have been secretly harboring guilt, shame, and a lack of confidence in my mommy skills because Jackson is not a “Babywise” baby. He is not “The Happiest Baby on the Block” baby. He is not an “Attachment Parenting” baby. He is not a “Baby Whisperer” baby.
I have done it all. The schedule, the routine, the swaddle, unswaddle, cosleep, pick up put down, CIO attempts…ect. And nothing works for him…nothing. He has a routine; sort of. He has a schedule; some days. And thus my feelings of, “What in the heck am I doing wrong?" have been constantly badgering me.
Well, my answer came to me this evening on my drive home when God whispered, “Control”. That is what you are doing wrong.
I am trying to control the gift God gave me. Trying to figure him down to a science of routine and method rather than rejoicing in him as the individual blessing from God he is to me. He is exhausting. He is active. He likes what he likes. He has a little temper that I am seeing more and more come out as he grows and discovers. Does he have his mama wrapped around his finger already? Yes….and no.
I understand him. I know what he needs as a mom. I am beginning to see the areas we need to really ‘parent’ him in and the areas we need to ‘release control of’ and let him blossom on his own in.
And with all this said. I am learning to give myself grace. To give Jackson time. To take this parenting thing one day at a time. To not try and run too far ahead of myself or look back and think, “Where did I go wrong?” …To try and not get frustrated because Jackson isn’t sleeping through the night yet when it feels like everyone else’s kid is. To be thankful when he gives me 4 hour stretches of sleep and to be compassionate towards him when he wakes up at night because he is sick or teething and can’t settle himself down. To offer him nurture when he needs it even if it is constantly. To take the advice of others as just advice. Try it. But if it doesn’t work, don’t equate that to my personal failure as a mother.
So often we look to the advice of others rather than what God is telling us. I know I can raise my hand to that one lately. Again my own fault.
I have so many friends and relatives getting ready to experience the joy of having a baby soon. Like in the next few weeks and months soon.  I realize how judgmental I have been before my own experience of having a kid. And the only advice I will offer to others when it comes to ‘parenting’ their precious bundle of joy is this: learn who your kid is. Read the books, ask for help, but know that you were given this specific child AND were given the brains to know how to raise and handle your baby. Whatever method or way you choose to parent is fine. Use what works for you.
And offer Grace and encouragement and support to others around you. Being a mommy is the hardest, most exhausting, greatest gift ever given to me.  Remember your child is a gift. And take each day as it comes. Breathe. Sleep when you can. Take moments for yourself. Remember to eat and drink. Shower. Pray continuously.  And ask God first before asking others. HE gave you this child on loan. He gave Jackson to me for a reason. He has equipped me.  Have confidence in that.
And let us throw our arms around each other and walk through this life together. Offering grace and prayers first before advice.
*And to all my friends out there reading this getting ready to have a baby: if you catch me offering my own advice before a prayer, you have permission to slap me…in the face….hard. And remind me. J  

No comments:

Post a Comment