For those
that are my friend on FB, I have been posting updates on a friend of mine whose
daughter suddenly became very very ill while traveling to TX to go on vacation.
From Beth’s posts Friday night till late yesterday afternoon, I have been
logging on to FB following updates, praying my heart out, and pleading with God
to heal sweet little 6 year old Emilee’s life. The answer came in a form that
no parent ever wants God to answer. She is indeed healed now. Completely. And
resting in His arms.
The story
goes that Emilee was bit by a deer tic on Memorial Day. Like any average person
that lives in the mountains and woods, you take the tic off and don’t worry too
much about it. Common occurrence.She became sick a few weeks later and Beth took her to the doctor for what they thought was just strep. While she did have to miss her kindergarten graduation, a dose of antibiotics was given and she was released to go on vacation. Needless to say, they never made it to their destination.
Her health
rapidly went downhill and the doctors struggled to keep her systems from
failing all while not fully knowing the cause. After having to recessate her
once on Sunday, their last ditch effort was to transfer her to a larger
hospital and begin doing some treatments that would hopefully give her little
body the defense it needed to fight off whatever this was. The transfer was a
success, the treatment was appearing to be working, and the doctor was able to
confirm that she had contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever from that tic
bite.
As her body
began to stabilize some, there was less and less movement coming from Emilee
and they decided they needed to go in and do an MRI to check on the blood flow
yesterday afternoon.
As FB blew
up with people from all over praying for this family and waiting anxiously for
the results, late in the afternoon my sweet friend finally wrote: “My precious
girl is brain dead. We plan to take her off the vent in a few hours. Please
pray for us in the upcoming days and weeks”.
Tears immediately
began to sting my eyes and I felt a wave of nausea sweep over me. News no
parent ever wants to hear. A decision that should never have to be made for a 6
year old. I met Beth and Charlie at our last church. Beth sang in the choir and on the worship team with me for a long time. I remember her struggle to get pregnant. That is where her path and mine have intersected the last several years in a more intimate way as she ‘ministered’ to me through FB posts and emails as I struggled with my miscarriages.
I remember
when Beth got pregnant with the twins. It was a miracle. I remember when Beth
went into preterm labor very early on and the twins were born at just 24 weeks
gestation. Miracle babies.
We left the
church and parted ways however like I said before, through the beauty of social
media, Beth and I were able to ‘keep in touch’ and follow each other’s lives.
And I know she prayed. And she was faithful to always offer up encouragement to
me.
Beth is an
L&D nurse at our local hospital and when I finally got pregnant with
Jackson, I emailed Beth and asked if she was working when I delivered, if she
would get me as her patient. That was the plan. However I ended up having a
scheduled C-section and Beth was not able to be my nurse. But even still, Beth
came to see me on her shift.
I remember
her sitting on the side of my bed rejoicing with me over the birth of Jackson. I
remember her talking about Charlie and Emilee and how they were doing and
growing and starting Kindergarten that year already. I remember us talking
about how much deeper of a love that we feel for our kids because of how hard
it was to actually get to that point.
When you
have struggled with fertility and lost multiple babies through miscarriage, you
form unique bonds with those that have had the same journey as you. It’s a ‘weird’
kind of sisterhood. There is an internal “I get you” and “I understand” where you’re
coming from.
That is why
I think this loss to me seems so much more unfair. I ‘get’ the struggle Beth
went through to even conceive her babies. I ‘get’ the feelings and journeys she
has taken through the miscarriages she had before the twins.
Now, to 6
years later, have your sweet girl taken from you in such a sudden way? Why God
why? I know that this family knows God and loves him deeply. I know that Emilee
is healed and in heaven. And that is cause to celebrate.
But I am so
completely saddened and frustrated at the same time. Angry a bit for Beth. It
isn’t fair. And that is just that. It isn’t fair for anyone to have to experience,
but especially her. As I got on Facebook last night to read all the comments, I found myself getting even more annoyed at all the stupid sayings, political articles being posted, feed your family only organic foods or they will die posts…ect. It just didn’t matter in light of eternity and life at the moment. And I just wanted to scream at everyone. “STOP!”
We
(including myself in this statement) get so ‘caught up’ in the HOW TO of life
that we forget to actually live. We forget to cherish. We forget to sit on our
dog hair covered floors with unfolded piles of laundry on the couch and just play
with each other. We forget to always stop striving to ‘save for our retirement’
and just take that trip to Disney world THIS year…now. We aren’t promised our
kids will be here next. We forget to stop reading the how to books on child
rearing, business building, and bettering our lives, and simply relish each
other in the everyday moments.
My life has
been thrown into overdrive here lately and I have been grumpy and short with my
words. Frustrated at the daily grind. Annoyed over having to work so much. Mad
at things and people. Just totally over it.
And as I
have been wrestling with myself through this journey that Beth has been on with
Emilee, I have been searching my soul intently. I wept as I put Jackson to bed last night. Rocking
him in the dark of his room. Getting frustrated for getting frustrated because
it was taking him awhile to settle. I had my Jackson. And I cried for
forgiveness. I thanked God I had a baby to rock.
Please
continue to pray for the Russell family as these next few weeks unfold for
them. I can’t imagine what life looks like for them as they will return home
and find all her things in their house where she left them. Her dirty clothes.
Toys. End of the year schoolwork. But no Emilee.
And if you
have indeed read all the way to the end of this long rant of mine, take a few
moments and evaluate your own life. What are you striving for? Live. Don’t be
foolish, but don’t forget to live. Cherish. Say I Love You. Kiss. Laugh. Put
aside petty things. Do something that isn’t logical. Buy your kids that
favorite toy and surprise them with it just to see the look on their face.
Because as cliché as it always sounds,” We truly aren’t promised tomorrow with
them” . So be sure to live today.
No comments:
Post a Comment